I like this book a lot so I have a lot of notes to take here. For you and for me later.
Five “start-here” books:
Eating Animals, by Jonathan Sarfran Foer – I’ve read this, and I really enjoyed it. I was already vegetarian when I read it and it has just pushed me to go further. Wonderful book. I agree with it being on this list and being the first one on this list!
The Face on Your Plate by Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson – I have not read this but it is on my list now!
Finding Ultra by Rich Roll – No, not Rick Roll. The whole title helps here: …Rejecting Middle Age, Becoming One of the World’s Fittest Men, and Discovering Myself. Yep, adding to shortlist.
The Lean by Kathy Freston – Rest of the title… A Revolutionary (and Simple!) 30-Day Plan for Healthy, Lasting Weight Loss. I’m not into diet books. I don’t need them anymore and I may be missing something, but I think I’m good here.
The average man in the United States has a 50 percent chance of having a heart attack. The average for vegan men? Four percent.
Books by Nutritionist:
Becoming Vegan by Brenda Davis and Vesanto Melina – 611 pages and only 8 ratings on Goodreads. Hmmm. We will see about this one.
Q: Where do you get your protein? A: From plants. Protein deficiency is essentially unheard of among people who are consuming enough food to meet their daily calorie needs.
Q: What about omegas and iron? A: You guessed it: you can easily get these from plants as well. Spinach is a powerhouse iron provider; omegas are easily found in flax and other seeds.
Q: What about calcium? A: Again, plants….dairy actually drains calcium from your bones as it is digested. Leafy greens are packed with calcium as are sesame seeds and tofu.
What about clothes? Some links to online places to get vegan stuff:
- Alba Botanica
- Beauty Without Cruelty
- John Frieda
- Kiss My Face
- L’Oreal EverPure
- Nature’s Gate
- Paul Mitchell
- Peter Lamas
- Desert Essence
- Nature’s Gate
- Tom’s of Maine
Cleaning Product Brands:
- Bon Ami
- Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Day
- Seventh Generation
- Beg: A Radical New Way of Regarding Animals by Rory Freedman
- Mad Cowboy: Plain Truth from the Cattle Rancher Who Won’t Eat Meat by Howard F. Lyman, Glen Merzer
- Thrive: The Vegan Nutrition Guide to Optimal Performance in Sports and Life by Brendan Brazier
- Vegan for Life: Everything You Need to Know to Be Healthy and Fit on a Plant-Based Diet by Jack Norris, Ginny Messina
- Compassion over Killing aka Animal Outlook
- The Environmental Working Group – Great database of products that are safe from allergens and vegan.
- The Humane Society of the United States
- International Vegetarian Union
- Meatless Monday
- People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA)
- Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
- The Vegan Society
- Vegetarian Resource Group