Excellent work on sea-level rise and what its impacts are and will be in the future. Something everyone should read.
This is an important read for those who live on the coast, California, Florida and anywhere were the land is threatened by ocean level rise.
Climate change is something we all need to be learning more about. For me, 2020 was about learning about climate change to a point, still lots to learn. I hope that in 2021 I can start making changes. From what I have learned the most powerful thing I can do is vote, but I can also make other large changes in my life that will have a small positive impact on the environment.
Some of those things I hope accomplish in 2021 are:
- Go vegan (started in October 2020, had been vegetarian for 3 years)
- Reduce plastic use
- Be minimalistic and very thoughtful about everything that comes into the house
- Vote with my purchases, by purchasing products containing and packaged with minimal or no plastic, by purchase plant-based products, shopping with vendors that are climate-friendly
- Stop buying gasoline vehicles, this one is hard because while there are a lot of electric vehicles out there, there are no full EV minivans which is a must for my partner, also since we don’t need a new car, this will probably not be something we do for at least another year. Part of what I have learned is to use what you have as long as you can
- Lead by example, hopefully, by doing the above I will have a chance to change some minds of those around me
A very detailed and thoughtful look at our current situation. Greatly disturbing and I wish there had been more about what we can do, however, the author does state that the most powerful thing we can do is vote. I agree, but I also think that there are other things we can do in addition and would like more discussion around that.
This was an audiobook listen for me. I gave this 4 out of 5 stars, as I wanted to hear more about how we can all impact climate change. This was discussed on a recent podcast I listened to that Bill Gates does with Rashida Jones. If you are interested in this topic this podcast is worth listening to. Also, Gates has a new book out called How to Avoid a Climate Disaster: The Solutions We Have and the Breakthroughs We Need that I plan on reading soon.
Much more about this book, The Uninhabitable Earth on this Talks at Google. Embedded below.