I took a week off on holiday with the family. But, now I’m back and the journey continues. If it is your first time here, I am teaching myself cybersecurity. Yes, I know that is a large knowledge base, but you have to start somewhere. On these updates, I share what I’m reading and doing to increase my cybersecurity skills.
- None this week.
- Nickelodeon investigates breach after leak of ‘decades old’ data – Nickelodeon has confirmed that the data leaked from an alleged breach of the company is legitimate but some of it appears to be decades old.
- Over 130,000 solar energy monitoring systems exposed online – Security researchers are warning that tens of thousands of photovoltaic (PV) monitoring and diagnostic systems are reachable over the public web, making them potential targets for hackers.
- OPERA1ER Cybercrime Group’s Leader Arrested by Interpol – The group’s mastermind was nabbed in Côte d’Ivoire for stealing up to $30 million using malware, phishing campaigns, and BEC scams, as part of international law enforcement’s Operation Nervone.
- Japan’s largest port stops operations after ransomware attack – The Port of Nagoya, the largest and busiest port in Japan, has been targeted in a ransomware attack that currently impacts the operation of container terminals.
- Dublin Airport staff pay details stolen by hackers after MOVEit attack at third-party provider – Staff at Dublin Airport have been warned that their personal data has fallen into the hands of hackers, following a data breach at a third-party service provider.
- Trans-Rights Hacktivists Steal City of Ft. Worth’s Data – In a move to embarrass the city, hacking group known as SiegedSec accessed thousands of files with administrator logins, but it’s making no ransom demands.
- Twitter Celeb Account Hacker Heads to Jail for 5 Years – Extradited from Spain, PlugWalkJoe has been sentenced in US court and is now headed to federal prison on a raft of charges related to account hijacking and cyber stalking.
- Mastodon Social Network Patches Critical Flaws Allowing Server Takeover – Mastodon, a popular decentralized social network, has released a security update to fix critical vulnerabilities that could expose millions of users to potential attacks.
- Move It on Over: Reflecting on the MOVEit Exploitation – In late May 2023, customers running the popular MOVEit file transfer software faced multiple, unexplained intrusions.
- Smashing Security 329 – Pornhub, Barbie dolls, and can you trust a free TV?
- Try Hack Me – SOC Level 1
- Wireshark: the Basics
- Wireshark: Packet Operations