Disclosure: I used ChatGPT to assist in writing parts of this post. I like paying with it to see how it does. Really impressed so far!
What is Kali Linux?
Kali Linux is a Debian-based Linux distribution designed for digital forensics and penetration testing. It is a popular choice for ethical hackers and cybersecurity professionals because it comes pre-installed with a wide range of tools for tasks such as network reconnaissance, vulnerability scanning, and exploitation. These tools can be used to identify and exploit vulnerabilities in systems, networks, and applications, which is important for understanding how to secure them. Additionally, Kali Linux is free and open-source, making it accessible to anyone interested in learning about cybersecurity.
How can Kali Linux help me learn about Cybersecurity?
Using Kali Linux can be helpful in learning cybersecurity for several reasons:
- The tools: Kali Linux comes pre-installed with a wide range of cybersecurity tools that can be used to perform tasks such as network reconnaissance, vulnerability scanning, and exploitation. This can give you hands-on experience using the same tools that cybersecurity professionals use in the field.
- The community: Kali Linux has a large and active community of users and developers who share information, tutorials, and resources. This can be a valuable source of information and support as you learn about cybersecurity.
- The environment: Kali Linux is designed to be used in a penetration testing environment, which simulates a real-world scenario where an attacker is trying to find and exploit vulnerabilities. This can give you a better understanding of how attackers think and operate, which can be beneficial in understanding how to secure systems and networks.
- The flexibility: Kali Linux is Open-source, which means you can customize the operating system to your needs and you can also build and test your own tools and scripts.
- The availability: Kali Linux is free and easy to download and install, making it accessible to anyone interested in learning about cybersecurity.
Overall, Kali Linux can be a useful tool for learning cybersecurity, as it provides a practical environment for experimenting with different tools and techniques. However, it should be used with caution and under guidance, as it can be dangerous to use without proper knowledge and understanding.
How do I install Kali Linux on a Mac?
Installing Kali Linux on a Mac computer can be done using virtualization software, such as VirtualBox or VMware Fusion. Here are the general steps to install Kali Linux on a Mac using VirtualBox:
- Download and install VirtualBox on your Mac from the official website.
- Download the Kali Linux ISO image from the official website.
- Open VirtualBox and click the “New” button to create a new virtual machine.
- Give the virtual machine a name and select “Linux” as the type and “Debian” as the version.
- Allocate memory and create a virtual hard disk for the virtual machine.
- On the virtual machine settings, click on “Storage” then click on the empty CD icon and select the Kali Linux ISO image you downloaded
- Start the virtual machine, it will boot from the ISO and you will be prompted to install Kali Linux. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation process.
- Once the installation is complete, you can start using Kali Linux on your Mac in a virtual environment.
It’s also worth noting that you will need to have at least 4 GB of RAM and at least 20 GB of free space on your hard drive to run Kali Linux Virtual Machine smoothly. It’s also important to note that running Kali Linux on a virtual machine may not provide the same level of performance as running it on a dedicated machine, and some of the more advanced features of the tools may not be available.
Installing on a Mac with Apple Silcon (M1/M2)
My requirements are a bit different so I’m going to try using UTM as outline in this youtube. Wish me luck.